Gear on test: Musto Ladies MPX Dropseat Trousers
When the opportunity to long term test them came up I eagerly stepped up to the mark. I have worn dropseat trousers for the last 4-5 years and although opinion is often split due to zipper seams leaking I’ve found them very practical.
Good looking sailing clothes for women are a hard find and MUSTO has done a great job tailoring the high chest panel and waist to leave a girl feeling pretty and left other brands well behind in this area.
I would perhaps suggest trying a size smaller than you would normally wear as perhaps too much material has been allowed around the derriére for thermals and mid layers!
I chose a pair in red as the platinum (white) would more than likely in my case end up looking like a muddy grey within weeks. Slipping them on, the adjustable velcro shoulder straps allow for a comfy fit and with the high front, the extra warmth and splash protection make summer wearing without a jacket all the more practical. Velcro can also be found around the ankles and covering the double sided zip to the drop down back. Aside from going back to Mr or Mrs Velcro to ask for a weaker fix you will find tearing the velcro from behind hard work but this does ease with use. As you’d expect from MUSTO’s MPX range, the quality is excellent, and so it should be for the price.
Wearing them with the Ladies MPX Offshore Jacket may have been a better test for warmth and complete waterproofness but for an extra £400 one might have to put up with their well worn alernative for another season! ST’s Sam Jefferson reviewed the men’s MPX Jacket in issue 166 which may provide good reading.
My only snag in the design is the lack of hand pockets, and MUSTO are not alone here. Leaving the marina at 7am on an early spring morning I was left wanting a nice fleece lined pocket to place my chilling hands, damp fingerless gloves serve their purpose whilst racing but as a thermal option, not so good.
- 3 layer Gore-Tex Pro Shell laminate for superior breathability, durability and waterproofness
- Velcro fastening adjustable shoulder straps to prevent slippage
- Hi fit design covers chest to give added protection when worn without jacket
- Elastication under arms ensures a snug fit
- Side attachment point for multitool with extra pouch supplied for ease of changeover
- Double side zips allow the seat to be dropped away for ladies convenience
- Articulated knee and seat construction to maximise ease of movement
- High wear resistant knee and seat patches with internal abrasian free seams to prevent damage
- Chest pocket
- Wide Velcro ankle closures for ease of fastening
- Fit and shape
- Soft fabric
- Ease of movement
- Very well made
WE DON’T LIKE
- Lack of hand pockets
- Great oilies and again the drop seat option is the practical choice for me.’
(Taken from Sailing Today magazine)
Women’s MPX Dropseat Trousers Unlined, GORE-TEX® high-fit trousers with dual-zip feature allowing seat to drop even without removing your jacket.
- 89% POLYAMIDE 11% PTFE WL GORE
- Machine Washable
- Available in Platinum or Red
- > SHOP ALL MPX COLLECTION
- Blog Categories
Tweets by @mustoclothing