Mathias Berthet &
About Mathias & Alexander
Alexander:I have been sailing Optimists since the age of six and moved into 29er last year as a helm. This year, I have started sailing as crew with Mathias Berthet. I have sailed Optimists for eight years then moved into the 29er as helm for one year and this is my first year as crew.
Mathias:I started sailing optimists at the age of 7 and moved into the 29er at the end of last year. I have sailed optimists for 8 years then moved into the 29er as helm with Alexander Franks-Penty.
The reason for swapping into the 29er was its speed and exhilarating type of sailing where every second matters when trying to cross the finish line first. It is very competitive especially in large fleets.
It requires close teamwork since we are two people in the boat. Every single movement has to be synchronised and it takes a lot of practice. The combination of physical strength, balance and coordination combined with the mental challenges are what make it so complex and fun. When it all comes together, there’s nothing to beat being first round the windward mark, and first over the finish line.
- 2017 & 2018 1st & 2nd Youth World Championships
- 2nd Europeans 2018
- 2 x National Champions 29ers
- 2017 1st Travemunder Woche - German National Championships
- 2017 1st Norwegian 29er National Championships
- 2017 13th Kieler Woche Regatta
- Alexander: 5th Norwegian 29er National Championships 2016
- Mathias: 1st Lake Garda Meeting Optimist 2016
- Mathias: 2nd Optimist World Championships 2016
- Mathias: 3rd Optimist World Championships 2015
Why choose Musto?
Good quality, looks good, comfortable. Keeps a good body temperature and has SPF 50 to protect you from the sun.
Podium positing in open and youth worlds 2019.
Tips for beginners
Start young – as young as possible.
Start in Optimists, and stay in them until you’re too old or too big.
To be good, training and racing has to be your first priority, above a social life or anything else.
Expect to use a lot of time and money on sailing.
Buy the right kit.