Corporate Social Responsibility
Musto is built upon the oceans and the outdoors. These are the stadiums where our sportspeople compete and our apparel is engineered. Whilst going about our business, we aim to do all we can to reduce the impact that our business has on the environment.
We are committed to a program of continuous improvement and we will engage our business partners, employees and customers to reduce their own impact through sustainable business practices.
Safeguarding the Environment
Fair Labour Policies
Safeguarding the Environment
When it comes to our day-to-day operations we’re constantly evaluating the strategies we have in place to better suit the needs of the world around us.
Energy efficiency is a key component of our environmental program. Reducing the energy we use through using smart lighting, keeping air conditioning use to a minimum and switching off equipment, rather than leaving it on standby all helps the environment and saves us money. We regularly review our suppliers and, when viable, endeavour to use green power.
Recycling and minimising waste
Within our offices we provide recycling facilities for all waste products which are recyclable. Our meeting rooms are equipped with large format AV facilities to negate the need for paper hand-outs Within our distribution centre we use reusable packaging for the majority of our online orders and shipments. We have a policy of reusing packaging whenever possible, you’ll notice our online order packaging comes with handy adhesive strips to allow you to use it again. When reuse is not possible, or a box becomes too old to reuse, we recycle. As a business, our total waste output is monitored and certified by Wastepack in compliance with the Environment Agencies Packaging Waste Regulations.
To keep our business operational, we must visit our suppliers and customers. We keep the number of times we visit them in a year to a minimum. Where we do travel, we encourage employees to visit multiple partners in a region in one trip rather than make multiple shorter trips. We have also use video conferencing facilities as an alternative method of communication.
Musto products are often used primarily to keep the wearer safe, and often to protect them in potentially life threatening situations. This means that, in some cases, we are not yet able to use as environmentally friendly materials and processes as we would ideally like. A failure of the product would be unacceptable and potentially catastrophic. However, Musto was founded by an engineer, and in that same spirit we are known as an innovator. Musto is renowned for excellent engineering in our products and we are committed and relentless in our pursuit of making better products.
Musto follows a mantra of built to last. We guarantee our performance products against defects and failure for a reasonable serviceable lifetime. We still offer a repair service and where ever possible we will endeavour to make an existing item fit for purpose again rather than resign it to the bin. In contrast to many of our other initiatives, this may not seem like the best way to grow our business. However, the durability of Musto products reduces our environmental impact and ultimately fuels our reputation.
Fair Labour Policies
At Musto, we are committed to creating products that are manufactured under fair, legal and safe working conditions. We audit our factories independently according to our 22 point criteria and Code of Conduct for Suppliers (CCS). This is carried out on an annual basis.
We have a good relationship with the select factories we work with and all new factories are carefully screened in accordance with our CCS. If a factory was to be audited and not meet our standards, we would work with that factory to help it improve and comply with our CCS rather than cease trading which could have a negative impact upon the workers due to loss of trade. We currently only assess our tier one supply chain connections but we aim to extend this to our tier two supply chain connections in the future. Our main areas of focus are:
Employment is freely chosen
- Factories should not employ forced, bonded or involuntary prison labour.
- Employees are free to leave their employer after reasonable notice.
- Obligations to employees under labour or social security laws and regulations arising from the regular employment relationship shall not be avoided through the use of labour-only contracting arrangements, or through apprenticeship schemes where there is no real intent to impart skills or provide regular employment.
- Younger workers shall be given the opportunity to participate in education and training programmes.
There is no discrimination in employment
All aspects of employment relationship shall be based on the principle of equal opportunities, regardless of race, colour, sex, religion, political affiliation, union membership, nationality, social origin, deficiencies or handicaps.
Child labour must not be used
- There should be no form of slavery or practices similar to slavery.
- The age for employment shall not be less than the age of completion of compulsory schooling and in any case not less than 15 years.
Freedom of association and the right to collective bargaining
- The right of all workers to form and join trade unions and bargain collectively shall be recognized.
- The employer adopts an open attitude towards the activities of trade unions and their organizational activities.
Payment of a living wage
- Wages and benefits paid for a standard working week shall at least meet legal or industry minimum standards and always be sufficient to meet basic needs of workers and their families.
- Deductions from wages for disciplinary measures shall not be permitted.
- Employees shall be adequately and clearly informed about specifications of their wages including wage rates and pay period.
Working hours should not be excessive
- In any event, workers should not be required to work in excess of 48 hours per week and given one day off in every 7 day period.
- Overtime should be voluntary and shall not exceed 12 hours per week.
Safe and healthy working conditions
- A safe and hygienic working environment shall be provided.
- Access to clean toilet facilities and portable water plus sanitary facilities for food storage shall be provided.
- Where accommodation is provided it shall be clean, safe, and meet the basic needs of workers.
We are committed to making a difference to the lives of people in our communities and the environments we work in. As well as minimising our impact on the environment, as a business that benefits from the environment, we have a duty to put something back.
We proudly support the work of the below trusts, charities and organisations whose work is directly connected to the environments where the sports and pastimes enjoyed by Musto consumers take place.
Ellen MacArthur Cancer Trust
Princes Countryside Fund
Game and Wildlife Conservation Trust
The Ocean Cleanup