The Offshore Academy
About The Offshore Academy
The Offshore Academy is Britain’s only centre of excellence for offshore sailing. It paves a path to the top of international competition by preparing the country’s aspiring sailors for the mental and physical extremes of solo ocean racing. Since its foundation in 2010, The Offshore Academy has been committed to supporting the future of British single-handed sailing. Each year a squad of promising young sailors are put through their paces by training and racing on a fleet of strict one-design Figaro yachts. From weather planning, navigation, nutrition and boat maintenance to understanding the wider world of sponsorship and corporate support of sailing, the Academy creates a rounded and extensive training programme.
- Enabling 37 British entries to the Solitaire du Figaro over 7 years
- 2016 Solitaire du Figaro – Will Harris 1st Rookie overall
- 2016 - Nick Cherry competed in a British record of 5 consecutive Solitaire campaigns
- 2015 Solitaire du Figaro – 9th Overall (Highest ranking British skipper to date)
- 2015 Solitaire du Figaro – 1st Rookie Overall
- 2013 Solitaire du Figaro – 11th (The then highest ever ranking British skipper)
- 2013 Solitaire du Figaro – 1st Rookie Overall
Why choose Musto?
Musto is the clothing and performance footwear brand of choice for The Offshore Academy, the equipment provides unprecedented protection for our sailors allowing them to focus on their performance. Musto has been involved with the Academy since its inception by Ellen MacArthur and Mark Turner, which dates back to Ellen MacArthur’s Solo sailing achievements. This long-standing partnership has since had supporting the short-handed sailors of tomorrow as its central focus.
The Academy’s mission is to grow the pool of elite ocean-racing sailors from English speaking countries and the UK, with the ultimate aim of inspiring a British victory in the solo round the world race known as the ‘Everest of Sailing’ the Vendée Globe.